WRM Motors began in 1912 when William Morris moved from automotive repairs to production of a ‘light car’. In 1919 the company was put into voluntary liquidation and Morris Motors Limited was formed after taking over the company’s assets. The model range grew with production at their new factory in Oxford, in 1924 Morris became the UK’s largest car manufacturer. Although leadership changed over the next few years, success continued for Morris until World War II. Where production was switched to help the war effort including manufacture of Supermarine Spitfires.
Car production restarted following the end of the war and in 1948 Morris began production of the Morris Minor designed by Sir Alec Issigonis. In 1952 the British Motor Corporation (BMC) was formed which included the Morris marque amongst others. Although the preferred Austin brand dominated the model line up Morris variants were still available. BMC became part of the newly formed British Leyland Motor Corporation in 1968, which was nationalised in 1975. The Morris marque finally disappeared in 1984.